Home » Programs & Exhibits » From the Archives: The Fulton Dedication and Exhibition

From the Archives: The Fulton Dedication and Exhibition

By Heidi Benedict, University Archives
On Saturday, August 27, 2016, following Convocation Exercises, the University dedicated the RWU Bristol campus as the newly renamed Fulton Campus. In 1965, Dr. Marshall N. Fulton and his wife Mary Howe sold over 60 acres of Ferrycliffe Farm, founded by her grandfather, to Roger Williams College. To commemorate their gift, the University unveiled an historic marker and named the main road on campus to Fulton Way.

1900_fultonhowe_homestead 1900, Family “Homestead,” where the University Residence sits today

 

The current Fulton family members donated their family papers to the University five years ago. The collection documents the history of the Farm and of the family. With correspondence making up the bulk of the collection, it is particularly strong in representing the family members’ personal and professional activities and interests, and demonstrates their affection for learning, travel, and each other. The Library has prepared an exhibit featuring family photographs and selected letters from the collection. The Archives hopes to have the collection completely processed by July 2017, marking the 100th anniversary of Mary Howe Fulton’s birth.

1940_fultonhowe_wedding

June 1940, Marshall and Mary Howe