by Linda Beith, Director of Center for Scholarship, Assessment, Learning, Teaching & Technology
The Panopto video creation and streaming system has become a favorite tool for many faculty, students and staff for its ease of use. Anyone can create a narrated video of anything on their computer screen using just two buttons – Record and Stop.
Panopto is constantly improving their software and their latest release this month has some impressive additions including:
- INTERACTIVE QUIZZINGOptions include:
- Inserting interactive quiz questions into any video
- Allowing learners to retake a quiz
- Showing learners their grade at the end of the quiz
- Allowing learners to review correct answers and explanations
- Prevent learners from watching the rest of the video until they take the quiz
- CAPTIONING – Addition of automatic speech recognition technology quickly turns a voice narration into closed captions that can be edited (and the captions are pretty accurate – greater than 70 %)! This allows users to quickly make their videos ADA compliant. Users can also edit the captions and customize the color, position and size of the video captions during playback.
- IMPROVED VIDEO EDITING– now includes custom preview images and support for working with slide decks. This means that you can select a custom thumbnail for the preview image for a video.
- New SLIDES tab in the editor allows a user to add individual slides to any point in a video.
- SMART SEARCH, which allows for a quick search of the narration in a video, has been expanded to include German and Spanish languages.
- Webcasting to more mobile devices – live streaming can now reach over 95% of all mobile device platforms with live video.
For more information on these new features, please see What’s New in Panopto 5.3?
If you would like assistance with any of these new features, please contact the CSALT2 /Instructional Design and Technologies team at firstname.lastname@example.org or phone 401-254-3187.